Friday, July 8, 2011

Cy Twombly 1928-2011

The great American painter Cy Twombly died Tuesday. I don't know a single painter that doesn't count him as an influence, and it was always a pleasure for me to study Twombly's work as an art historian. In 1995, in my hometown of Houston, the Menil Collection opened a Renzo Piano-designed gallery devoted to Twombly's work. I urge you to visit if you get the opportunity. It's typically very quiet and is a wonderful place to just sit with a representative collection of the artist's beautiful work:



1 comment:

the obsessive imagist said...

Truly a sad time for the art world. I also love studying him; in graduate school it was wonderful to discover his sculptures. I have yet to visit the Menil, but seeing his work would certainly be a major factor for making the trip.